The online application for 2011-2012 academic year scholarships from United Palestinian Appeal (UPA) is now available
To be eligible for the scholarship, a student must meet all of the following criteria:
1. Enrollment in a Palestinian university in the West Bank or Gaza Strip andcompletion of at least one semester towards a bachelor's, master's, medical, or law degree there.
2. A current grade point average of 80% or higher and strong academic skills, as indicated by a professor's referral.
Demonstrated financial need.
3. Commitment to improving Palestinian society, as demonstrated by a professor's referral and by the content of the student's essay on why they chose the field they are pursuing and how they plan to use their degree.
Students interested in applying should take note of the following:
1. The deadline for completing the online application is 30 April 2011.
2. The deadline for a professor to submit an academic and personal evaluation of the student to UPA is 7 May 2011.
3. UPA scholarships are not automatically renewed. Current UPA scholarship recipients must re-apply for financial aid each academic year in which they are enrolled.
4. The application must be filled out in English, except for the essay, which may be written in Arabic or English.
Since 1986, UPA’s University Scholarship Program has helped nearly 2,000 qualified students realize their dreams of higher education, providing tuition funds for study at local universities. For the 2010-2011 academic year, UPA awarded scholarships to 136 students, who were awarded between $750 and $1,250 each for the academic year, depending on their financial need and tuition costs.
United Palestinian Appeal, Inc. is a non-profit organization based in Washington, DC, that works to alleviate the suffering of Palestinians and to contribute to the long-term socioeconomic and cultural development of Palestinian society