Ashoka’s Youth Venture, in partnership with Staples Foundation, is seeking entries from young people for the 5th annual Staples Youth Social Entrepreneur Competition. The competition is organized to recognize the youths with innovative ideas about use of technology for advancing social change and improving the lives of people across the world.
Guidelines and Selection Process
- Youth must enter the competition or be nominated.
- Entries will be accepted only in English.
- A panel of internal judges will screen all entries and may invite finalists to fill out a detailed application and submit additional material. Judges may ask to interview entrants by phone or Skype.
- The four winners will be selected by an external panel of industry experts.
- The decision of the grand-prize winner will be selected through a voting process at Techonomy.
- The Staples Youth Social Entrepreneur Competition is open to all youth who are:
- Between the ages of 12 and 24
- Operating a youth-led social venture
- Using technology to advance social change; technology is defined broadly, and need not be the primary focus of your work. For example, you may work on education or environmental issues – but if you use social media or digital platforms to accomplish your goals, you qualify!
- Able to demonstrate impact of project
- Willing to put effort into presenting their story to a global audience
- Able to travel to Tucson, AZ to participate in the Techonomy conference from November 13-15, 2011
- Willing to sign a media release giving Ashoka’s Youth Venture permission to distribute videotaped presentations and associated multimedia during and after Techonomy.
- Able to travel on a Round the World Learning Tour accompanied by Youth Venture staff before November 15, 2012.
Travel prizes include the cost of travel, food and lodging from the start to the end of the trip. Prize does not include personal spending money, travel expenses to and from the originating airport, equipment costs, or any other expenses not directly associated with the trip as mentioned above. There is no cash or other alternative to the prize stated and the prize is not transferable and no part or parts of the prize may be substituted for other benefits, items or additions.
Deadline: September 9, 2011.
For more information: click here